Thursday, February 9, 2017

Winter still sucks

Well it's been over a week since the last time I went outside due to a combination of cold weather and my unwillingness to go out in cold weather, but yesterday had a balmy high of 50 degrees which meant another trip to the old vernal pool. The salamanders also had the same idea and were out and about in numbers.

It's time for everyone's favorite party game: How Many Salamanders?
Scroll down for the answer!*

A few eastern newts were also swimming around and I even saw one trying to snap up a marbled salamander larvae for lunch. Unfortunately for the newt his meal got away. 


And here's some footage from the day of salamanders not doing much with some internet meme music. I left my GoPro sitting on the bottom of the pool for about 6 minutes and was happy to find that a few different salamanders  ended up swimming in front of it. I'll have to experiment with this some more, it'd be cool to capture some more interesting behaviors. 


*Answer: I counted 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment